Monday, April 12, 2010

Meet My Peeps: MeeshOneStudio

Hey all!
It's that time again! It's Meet My Peeps Monday! This week meet Michelle Macdonell, owner of MeeshOneStudio...




I've always been creative, when I was a child most of my time was spent drawing, painting, coloring inside the lines, making my own books, teaching imaginary art classes, and I was truly fascinated with the sewing machine at my babysitter's house. Both of my parents and most of my aunts (all 8 of them!) and one uncle are fantastically creative in their own ways. I guess I've just always been living my life through art!

A few years ago I made a big move from Arizona to Northern California, I came seeking change and a change I got. Ha! It was a little difficult to find work here and so with the encouragement of family and friends and my one amazing boyfriend, I thought, "why not make my own job?". I jumped in feet first! I opened "MeeshOneStudio" and started selling my goods on Etsy and vending local fairs.





I just recently (through the Indie Biz class) decided I need to "play to my strengths", up until now I have been all over the place and I didn't even have a particular craft to name, I was like the " Target" of handmade goods. Drawing and painting are the two things I've kept to myself my whole life, I feel like my art in this form is truly me and I love that no one can take that from me, and that's exactly what I want my business to be...a true reflection of me. So now I would call this my "craft" of choice and everything else is just falling in to place.

I am inspired by the whole world around me! I get a lot of inspiration from nature in urban settings, when moss and vines start to take over old buildings, fences, houses, cracks in the sidewalk...all of it. And I am always awed by grafitti and more "street" art forms. I look up to my fellow female artisans the most, I think, despite strong movements and changes in the concept of equality, we still live in a male dominated world so when a female artist can really rise up and shine through it always inspires me to keep doing what I love to do.

I keep a "creative ideas" journal in my bag at all times because you never know what random moment inspiration will choose to strike! I sketch or jot down my ideas into my journal first because they often come in floods, then when I am finished working on whatever it is I am working on at the time I go back through the pages and see what projects still appeal to me and which ones are even feesable, and from there I get right down to it.

My top 5 favorite blogs/sites? 5 just doesn't seem like enough, haha! I find a lot of inspiration from my fellow bloggers, I think it is amazing how you can find a whole world of people just like you without even leaving your house! These are the ones I check in on for a daily dose of smiles:

A Beautiful Mess
http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/

Color Me Katie
http://colormekatie.blogspot.com/

Freckled Nest
http://frecklednest.blogspot.com/

Craft Gossip:
http://craftgossip.com/

Instructables:
http://www.instructables.com/

You can find me here:
http://blingandbones.blogspot.com
http://www.MeeshOneStudio.etsy.com
http://www.FunkOffBrand.etsy.com (My boyfriend and I started this Vegan Bath & Body product line together!)

I am in the process of "re-branding" myself so my whole shop is about to get a huge makeover! I am preparing for my new line up to release this April 25th at the Crafty Mavericks HandMade + Vintage Affair in Bayside, CA and my Etsy shop will be fully updated soon after. I am also gathering some really fun things to host my 2nd ever blog giveaway! I am giving my readers a chance to win a little assortment of items from my new line before anyone even has a chance to buy them! The giveaway will begin on April 20th and I will announce a winner on April 27th. What's more exciting than free gifts? ;)

It's so hard for me to pick favorites, I always trip up on those "stranded on a desert island" questions too. I did my best, but don't hold me to it!

Drink: Ooba Hibiscus cooler! Seriously, if you've never had one you're missing out!
http://www.oobabeverage.com/

Food: This is a hard toss up between pizza and sushi

Color: Fuschia!

Accessory: I feel completely off and almost naked without a necklace, but more specifically, my favorite accessory is this simple necklace with a black key on it, I wear it all the time and my boyfriend wears the same key. Love Love Love it!

Current trend: I don't know how "current" I would consider it, but I absolutely adore rompers! I feel like they're plafully adult and they work in so many ways.

I actually just did a " What's in your bag?" post on my blog so you're in luck, it is completely current! I've got my favorite orange and gold Sigg bottle, my iPod (covered in a Gelaskin by my favorite artist Amy Sol!), my pocket knife, a small mason jar filled with raw nuts and dried cranberries (I'm known as the "snack fairy"), my FEED 100 bag that I use to grab groceries, my faux green snake skin wallet, my faux DG sunglasses from my favorite sunglasses shop in Palm Springs, CA(three pair for $21!), my planner, my cute little business card holder, my vinyl zipper pouch of travel sized toiletries, a small arsenal of pens and markers, my "project idea book", my telly, oooh and the tastiest Mango Tango organic lolly!



I had so much fun thinking up answers for all of these great questions! I hope you got a little insight into my world and I look forward to making new friends out there in the blog world!

So Much Love...
Michelle "Meesh"

Everyone make sure to check out her super cute blog and shop! I love love love those hats!! I'll see you guys tomorrow for Turquoise Tuesday!

xo,
Meaghan @ Urban Farm Designs

2 comments:

  1. Meesh's stuff is totally adorable and I can't *wait* for her blog makeover. I'm off to score me some vegan bath products, woo!

    ReplyDelete