Tuesday, March 9, 2010

All In A Name: The Genesis of Urban Farm

Hello!

I've gotten a few questions lately about where the name Urban Farm Designs came from. I'm in a bit of a storytelling mood today so I will put it in storybook terms... :)


Once upon a time there was a dreamer with BIG dreams. So big, in fact, that some around her chided, "Not quite so big, my dear." Alas, this daydreamer could not be brought down, because dreaming was what she was born to do.


*

One day she was walking in the forest and it dawned on her that she'd never been as happy as she was among the green, lush trees and plants. "If only I could live here forever", she sighed. She rolled in the tall grasses, played in the leaves and ate fresh food from the earth. One day her time in the forest was done and she was sent back to the concrete world.


*

Sadness overcame her as she grasped for a piece of what she had left behind.

On a particularly sunny day, she looked over her little yard and thought to herself, "I will plant a garden to remember my time among the green living things."

So she planted a tomato. And it GREW! It grew and grew until she could not fit one more tomato in her mouth. Exhausted, but excited, she planted more and more over the days, weeks and years. Kale, carrots, cabbage, strawberries (a few plants for herself and a few for the squirrels), trees, flowers... she could not be stopped.

Finally, she looked around and instead of a backyard, she saw the forest, the mountains, the rivers, the green & living things she missed from her old life.

The girl has gotten older, and her dreams have gotten bigger. She now dreams of having a few acres of land on which to live, plant, sew, and create. In fact she even knows which lot she'd like (a forested lot right on the edge of town.)

She wants to call it Urban Farm.


*

3 comments:

  1. I love a good story! And THAT was a good story. Keep dreaming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story. I feel inspired to cultivate my own garden farm now. :)

    ReplyDelete